The purpose of this blog is to share stories from the road of Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown Alley. With this resource we can relive those days and have a better understanding of the transitions within Clown Alley over the years. I feel historically it's important to share these stories for future generations. 

Monday, April 19, 2010

Well in that case!




 It was my third year with the show, when a rookie clown named Chuck Sidlow came on the show.  He was a young kid of 17 and pretty crazy!  I don't know how... and I don't know why... but before I knew it, I'd taken this kid under my wing.

Later that year when we were in Indianapolis, I'd received a note that two girls wanted to meet me.  I told Chuck I was going to show him how to handle girls and told him to go with me at intermission to meet them.  We went out to see them...


The girls asked if we could go outside for a few minutes, which we did.  We went to the top of the ramp and started talking with them...
 
In those days we always opened the second half of the show with some two minute track gags, while the audience came back to their seats.  As we were there talking to these girls, time slipped us by, and all of a sudden we heard the music start!  We told the girls we had to go and in a panic we ran down the ramp....
 
We arrived just in time for the music to end.

There at the bottom of the ramp, stood Frosty  our boss- his arms folded and a scowl on his face. He said to us
,"You missed the track gags. Where were you guys?"
 
I looked at Chuck and told him in these situations it was best to tell the truth.  So I told Frosty we met some girls and went outside with them.  Fearing the worst Frosty looked at the two of us he threw his arms up and just said, "Well in that case!....." and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment