The purpose of this blog is to share stories from the road of Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown Alley. With this resource we can relive those days and have a better understanding of the transitions within Clown Alley over the years. I feel historically it's important to share these stories for future generations. 

Friday, April 16, 2010

Mr. Tim


One year ago a legend in our business went on to the great circus in the sky. For many of us on Ringling Tim Holst was always there. From the day he went to clown college in 1971 until 2009 he was an integral part of "The Greatest Show On Earth" From clown to ringmaster on to performance director, and finally Vice President of Talent. What a career! No matter how busy he would be he seemed to always make time for you, even if it was just for a moment. He loved to come to clown alley on the gold show and just talk about clowning. Tom Dougherty,myself and Tim would share stories and memories from the 70s and talk for what seemed like hours. He truly loved the circus, especially clowns. One day he left his briefcase in our dressing room. Being one to not pass up a golden opportunity like that I took some glitter which I used in opening of the show and proceeded to put some in his briefcase. hoping he wouldn't open it until he was gone. Sure enough he got called away and had to leave immediately. While he was on the plane he opened his briefcase and glitter went every where! I saw him a few towns later and he told me what happened. Thinking I was in trouble he just laughed and told me everyone on the plane had a good laugh. Tim was always up for a good practicle joke. I'm so glad he was part of my life. 

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Mitch.

    Lots and lots of circus people still miss Tim a lot. (And, glad to see your blog back in operation.)

    ReplyDelete